(1898 – 1983)
French architect and town planner
of Emmanuel Pontremoli at l’École des Beaux-Arts
of Paris, Beaudouin received the first prize of the Grand Prix
of Rome, in 1928. He was then known for the works that he co-signed
with Marcel Lods until 1940.
His work on the post-First World War and pre-Second World War
in France illustrated the interest he held in the collective
accommodations programs, in the industrialisation of the building,
in the use of pre-fabricated elements, and in urbanism.
Following was a second career involved in
public command, both in and outside of France, where Beaudouin
created Embassies, schools, low-rent housing, university residences,
and civil buildings. As a town planner, he directed projects,
such as Minguettes at Vénissieux, near Lyon, and the
whole of the offices in the district of Maine-Montparnasse.
Beaudouin was named director of the School of Architecture at
the Université de Génève, and professor
at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts
in 1952. Member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts in 1931,
he was named president of the International Union of Architects
Main creations and projects:
1923-1929: Construction of the social accommodations with Marcel
1930-1939: Cité du Champ-des-oiseaux in Bagneux.
1931-1934: Cité de la Muette in Drançy.
1934: The open-air school of Suresnes.
1938: A house that could be dismantled BLPS with Marcel Prouvé.
1935-1939: The people’s house and covered market of Clichy
with Marcel Prouvé.
1964-1969: Minguettes at Vénissieux.
1958-1973: The set of the offices in the Maine-Montparnasse