of Wlerick, as well as Landowski, Louis Leygue was the first
Grand Prix of Rome in 1931.
In 1935, he executed his first large order : the ossuary of
the French soldiers fallen on the Piave (combat against the
Austrians in 1917) for the Embassy of France in Rome. The same
year, he met Beaudouin who encouraged him to realise, for the
Embassy of France in Ottawa, a replica of the Vimy monument,
in honour of the Canadian soldiers’ sacrifice for the
Liberation of France.
From the 1930s, Leygue became interested in
metal as a material of expression. His work, of figurative inspiration,
goes along the lines of Lipschitz and Zadkine : Tripolème
(1950) or the Cortège (1967) are examples of a rigor
in the reflection over the full and the empty.
Professor at the École des Beaux Arts of Paris (1945),
Leygue was elected at the Institut de France in 1969. Also a
sketcher and engraver, he regularly exposed his works in the
greatest museums and foundations up until his death.
Parmi ses œuvres:
1935: Ossuaire des soldats français tombés sur
le PiaveOssuary of the fallen French soldiers on the Piave
1949: Monument of the deportees of Ain
1953: Le prisonnier politique inconnu